Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yanagi Sushi

I was down in South Austin yet again, and was craving sushi like no other. Sushi is not prevalent down south, but I'd be wanting to try a place called Yanagi. It happens to be located next to a Gold's Gym in, what do you know, another strip mall (ah suburbs). I convinced my Mom to go with me and we stepped into something we didn't expect. The space was very well decorated and had a unique ambiance for a strip mall establishment. They had a bar, a sushi bar, and a regular dining area. Our waiter took our drink orders and delivered complimentary Miso soup. The soup only had miso, seaweed, and tofu. No mushrooms or flair. The waiter said they only use miso to make it, no chicken stock or extras. It was delish. Since my Mom is not a huge fan of raw fish, she chose the Salmon tempura roll, and I went for the classic Rainbow roll and a Seaweed salad. They had a HUGE selection of salads, sushi, rolls, specialty rolls, noodles, and bowls. It was hard to come to a final decision, but we went classic. Now, I've had plenty of seaweed salads in my day, but this was the mother load. It was gigantic and was served with sweet pickles, lettuce, and fried wonton pieces. YES. My Mom's Salmon tempura roll was fantastic. It had a sweet sauce drizzled and the crunch of the tempura was excellent. My Rainbow roll was a typical rainbow roll, and I would of liked a bit more variety for the raw fish, but it was still tasty. Our rice was a little on the chewy side, but not bad. The waiter mentioned that the restaurant had recently been compared to Uchi, which I had a hard time believing, but of course didn't try enough to decide. Another sushi place to add to your Japanese repertoire. May you be blessed with a heavenly experience!

Yanagi

*Unfortunatley I lost my camera and had to use a camera phone with no flash (tear). Enjoy anyway!









No comments:

Post a Comment