Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cupcakes of Love

Over Valentine's Day weekend I decided to do a love run of cupcakes. I've had the pleasure of eating several in town from companies like Walton's, L's Cupcakes, Hey Cupcake, Polkadot, Cupcake Bar, Cupprimo, and more. I wanted to branch out and try some new little morsels of goodness, all over town. My first cupcake was at Russel's Bakery off Balcones Drive in Austin. I've had cakes from the bakery several times, but never the little version. I walked in to the smells of coffee and a case full of pastries. I spotted the cupcake I wanted immediately. Vanilla, with cream cheese frosting and a big red heart. It said, "I love you, go ahead take a bite". The treat cost $2.75 and it was large. I drove home only thinking about sinking my teeth into sweetness. The cake was typical Russel's goodness. Thick, flavorful, vanilla, tasty. The icing was good, but too thick for my liking. I had to scrape a bit off, but it was still delicious. It was a great start to my cupcake crusade. The next place I ventured was Lux Bakery off William Cannon Dr. As I approached the strip mall, I couldn't believe I'd missed this place before. I walked in and was greeted by Ann, the current owner and baker. Her sweet demeanor translated through the treats she had in the shop. She told me they had been there for two years, I was shocked. I basically pressed my nose to the pastry case and chose the Strawberry cupcake (Vanilla cake with Strawberry buttercream frosting with real strawberries), and the Mocha Latte cupcake (Chocolate cupcake with Expresso buttercream frosting). Each were $1.75, a steal. As I sat down, I admired the rose like shape frosting and dove in. The frosting and cake on both were absolutely perfect. You could taste the real strawberries in the Strawberry buttercream. The Chocolate cake was perfectly moist and the Espresso buttercream incredible. Neither were overwhelming, had amazing flavor and were surprisingly light. I couldn't get enough. I bounced back up to the counter and ordered two more mini cupcakes, both $0.75 each. They were too cute to pass up. I got orange and lemon. Both very good. Ann uses real juice and zest from her citrus. You can definitely tell. My last stop for cupcake love was Sugar Mama's on S. 1st. I've heard all good things about this little shop of sugar, and had to try it out. I walked in and was greeted by friendly staff. I looked at the ginormous cupcakes and my mouth began watering. I decided on the Odd Couple (Chocolate cupcake topped with salted caramel cream cheese frosting and chocolate covered pretzel) and The Hemingway (Vanilla cupcake filled with fresh key lime curd and topped with key lime cream cheese frosting and crushed graham crackers), each $2.50. Are you dying of delicious dreams right now? I promised myself I'd wait til I got home to eat, but I started the Hemingway in my car. Let me tell you, if my taste buds could talk they would scream with excitement and satisfaction. This was a treat where every ingredient and flavor could be tasted. The frosting was perfect, and the cake moist and fulfilling. Within few hours I attempted the Odd Couple. It was rich chocolate cake and the frosting even richer. Not #1 out of my samples, but definitely glad I got it. The pretzel was the icing upon the icing on the cake. So if you're ready to go cupcake crazy, be sure to check out these fantastic shops as well as ones mentioned before. Treat yourself to a tiny party in your mouth. You won't regret it!

Russells Bakery
@RussellsBakery






Lux Bakery and Cafe
@LuxBakeryCafe










Sugar Mama's Bakeshop
@SugarMamas










No comments:

Post a Comment