Friday, June 25, 2010

Satellite Cafe in South Austin

Ever since I had the lettuce wraps at P.F. Chang's, who knows how long ago, I fell in love. The crisp lettuce cups the size of my head, sweet, crunchy, flavorful filling of chicken, and more had me at hello. One of my favorite little spots in South Austin is the Satellite Bistro & Bar. The menu boasts choices galore, everything from crab cakes to stacked enchiladas. Each time I sit in the cosmic setting, it takes me a minute to decide. On a weekend lunch outing with my Mom, we stepped into the cafe for a bite. I saw the lettuce wraps as an appetizer on the menu and my eyes widened with glee. I asked the waitress if they were big enough for lunch for person who enjoys her food, she said they would be plenty. Mom ordered the fish tacos, which are another must at the restaurant. I had a bit of shock and awe when my plate arrived. It was huge. Mountains of chicken goodness, toppings, crunchy wonton strips, and of course the lettuce the size of my head, led to a mini dance at the table. I piled each bit of goodness into the lettuce as if putting together a present for a dear friend. I wrapped the lettuce like a soft taco and took my first bite. Visions of my virgin lettuce wrap experience popped in my head. Was it possible to fall in love again? Yes, it was. The wraps at Satellite have a bit more bite, and I like it. My Pinot Grigio was the perfect partner for my Asian appetizer. Mom thoroughly enjoyed her tacos, and the conversation was of course wonderful. Stop in for brunch, lunch, or dinner if you're in this suburban hotspot of Austin. You'll thank your lucky stars you did.

Satellite Bistro & Bar
Twitter: @satellitebistro



No comments:

Post a Comment