Monday, December 28, 2009

Chocolate, Cheese & Beer

Christmas Eve 2009 was one tasty night for my family. While sharing a meal (of course), my Mom and I came up with a feast that would kick-off Christmas celebrations like no other. We knew we wanted the essentials: cheese, chocolate and some form of festive beverage. It was set, we traveled to Central Market in Austin and made our way down the check-list. With the ever so patient and knowledgeable Central Market staff, I picked four very different cheeses. I also decided to pick four different beers to sample with our meal. I wanted a range from light to dark. The beer/wine guy at Central Market knew just what I needed. My Mom finished the trip by getting 60% dark chocolate, which we were to melt for fondue (tastebuds watering yet?). The feast was complete with fruit for chocolate dipping, 'lil smokies in chili sauce and grape jelly (simple delicious sauce), and honey for the cheeses. It was fantastic, we couldn't get enough. If you decide to do the same, I highly recommend asking for suggestions, and stray from your ordinary picks. It was worth it for us. Here's hoping your holiday meals were just as tasty.

Central Market
Twitter: @CMFoodie

From left to right: Manchego DO. aged 12 months (nutty, light, so tasty); Sartoni Bella Vitano (Parmesan/Cheddar like cheese soaked in Raspberry Ale, different and good); Carr Valley Mobay (goat and ewe's milk seperated by vegetable ash, so delicious); 60% Brie (creamy, smooth, but pungent); Regular old Cheddar Cheese (my brother's addition)


From left to right: Zatec Czech Lager (light and smooth); Ayinger Bavarian Hefferveisen (refreshingly good), Anchor Steam Beer (from San Fran, hearty and tasty); Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale (dark, deep, and satisfying)








No comments:

Post a Comment