Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eclectic Escape

My fabulous friend Erica and I headed to Eastside Showroom in Austin for an early Tuesday night dinner. I have been wanting to try this newly opened East Austin hideaway for awhile now. The restaurant features one of a kind furniture and lighting for sale, hence "showroom". We entered the dimly lit establishment excited and impressed by the colorful atmosphere. The bar was the first thing we laid our eyes upon, good start. We were seated at a tiny table for two, and waited with great anticipation as we decided to order some of the waitress's favorite cocktail picks. We arrived during happy hour, so cocktails were $1 off. My thirst leaned towards the Pink Pony (Gin, Aperol-which is similar to Campari, grapefruit, and cucumber), while Erica chose El Diablo (Tequila, lime, Cassis, and Ginger beer). They arrived on our table in mini Mason jars, mine topped with a cucumber and Erica's with a lime. Erica loved hers, it was a tad sweet but tasty. Mine took some getting used to. Luckily my meal happened to have grapefruit, which helped tie it together. We scanned the menu, asked our ultra hip waitress for advice and made our picks for dinner. While investigating the restaurant beforehand, I noticed they had Pork Belly which I was incredibly eager to try. Unfortunately, they were out during our visit. I was disappointed, but decided to go with Grilled Quail. My decision was right on. The quail was delish. The spices of the bird could use a little tweaking, but it was tender and tasty. The greens and grapefruit it was placed on, were just as delish. Excellent combo. I wish I could say Erica's dish was also a winner, but sadly it was not. She ordered the Curried Grits and Greens. The greens were chewy and the grits well they were gritty. For an ultra healthy dish, I would say go for it. If you want flavor and mmm-ness I'd say no way Jose. The dish has the option of a fried egg on top, which may have helped with flavor. Luckily she also ordered a cup of French Onion soup, which seemed to satisfy (if you're looking for amazing French Onion Soup in Austin, I would have to say Justine's trumps all). So all-in-all, the experience was delightful. I mean how can you go wrong with great company. I will definitely give the Showroom another try, and see where it takes me. Check it out if you're up for an eclectic escape.

Eastside Showroom
Twitter: @east_showroom







No comments:

Post a Comment